Friday, March 9, 2012

"Let's take a look. A book look." -Strong Bad



(Picture courtesy of Pinterest. Oh, Pinterest.)

For the past 3 months, I feel like I haven't done any reading for myself, not really. I mean, Lord of the Rings was marvelous, My Antonia was rather beautiful, and Harvey was fun to read over and over...

and over...

...and over...

...and...

ooo-vvv-eee-rrrrrrrrrrr...

But I decided I needed a break from reading the required stuff and just the required stuff. I decided to celebrate "Read A Couple Of Hype-ey Books And Just Hope They Don't Completely Suck" week with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

And I am pleased to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I mean, for one thing, the John Green book was autographed by John Green.



I seriously considered stealing the book and giving it to Sister-in-Law-Liz for keeps. Maybe I ought to. Hmm...all I'd have to do is buy another copy of the book, switch out the covers, peel off and relocate all the stickers, duplicate the signature...

Holy crap. It's totally doable.

Anyway, felon-ous contemplations aside...these books really didn't suck. They took me two days a piece to finish, each a lovely, easy breezy read. Both were pretty well written (The Fault in Our Stars is so clever. John Green writes some of the wittiest dialogue I've ever read) and were darn good stories. I realize they are far from perfect. I had several issues with The Night Circus (mostly with the romance aspect. 'Twas much too fluffy. It practically ruined the whole book for me. However, the parts that weren't nasty love bits were so magical and fantastic that I could forgive and forget and keep reading). The real appeal was how easy it was to get completely sucked into these little worlds. I didn't have to think hard to understand what I was reading. Hours would pass without my notice. The escapes were absolutely mindless.

Sometimes it's good to be without your mind for a bit.

Oooh. How Proverbal.


1 comment:

  1. I will never stop loving YA as long as I live.

    And I totally have a copy of The Fault in Our Stars. That swap-out thing is even more do-able than you thought. And what difference would it make? Really? In the long run? Is it stealing if we just REPLACE it? And I'LL value the signature WAY more than the impersonal library would, right?

    ReplyDelete